Birthday groups gets students walking around and saying the month they were born in while listing to other's answers and deciding if a group should be made. Basically, it's practicing the months focusing on the student's own birthday.
|Level:||Elementary grade 5 or 6|
|Works with:||Works with months/ birthdays|
|Class size:||Medium to large|
You will need:
- Practice the months with the students while showing which months group into which seasons.
- Students walk around and find a talking partner.
- Each student says the month of their birthday.
- If the months are in the same season, students link together, either side by side arm in arm or one in front of the other with hands on shoulders to make a snake.
- Keep finding new people to talk to until there are only four groups.
- When I do this activity in class, I usually do grouping my months first, then seasons. It helps students understand the mechanics of the game better and breaks down the instructions into two parts.