For junior high first graders, this group work activity encourages students to use their knowledge of the world and bring it to the English class.
|Level:||Junior high grade 1|
|Works with:||Are you a baseball fan?|
|Class size:||Medium to large|
You will need:
- Blank paper (though you could have students use their notebooks)
- Some international characters, either print outs or draw on the board.
This activity should be done after students have studied the full dialog from Sunshine 1 Program 2-2, page 27 or similar.
- Introduce some characters from different countries. (Either draw them on the board or prepare print-outs before-hand.)
- Be sure to introduce which countries the characters come from.
Characters could be from:
- Brazil (eg. soccer fan)
- England (eg. cricket or soccer fan)
- New Zealand or Australia (eg. rugby fan)
- India (eg. cricket fan)
- Japan (eg. sumo or baseball fan)
- In groups, students come up with "Are you a ____ fan?" type questions for one or two of the characters. The questions are to ask the characters if they are fans of the sports that are popular in their countries.
- After a short amount of group discussion time, collect answers. If you want, act out the role of each character, and you and the students can have a short dialog.
This might seem like a very simple game but for students new to junior high school life, simple and easy will be welcome. There's the opportunity to point out that what students are doing is getting one piece of information and thinking of a follow-up question to keep the conversation going.
This activity works well as a review of Sunshine 1 Program 2-2.