The next letter game is played in teams of 4 at the maximum to practice alphabetical order with the goal being trying to recall as quickly as possible the next letter. A perfect warm up for when junior high school first grade are learning how to use the dictionary.
|Level:||Junior high, grade 1|
|Works with:||Learning how to use a dictionary|
|Class size:||Any size|
You will need:
- Students make groups of 3 or 4.
- One student (the leader) says any letter from the alphabet.
- Other students in the group think and try to be the first to say the next letter in the alphabet order.
- The winner becomes the new leader and repeat.
- Larger groups means some students may opt out of playing and thinking.
- Demonstrate this game with the teacher and a student.
- Larger groups means some lower level students may opt out of playing. That would be a shame because this is a great warm up to thinking about alphabet order on the lessons when students learn how to look up words in an English dictionary.