The head, shoulders, knees and toes song is one that most students in elementary school seem to know and are very able to sing along. Singing is fun and children love it, so here is a way to make the old song a little bit more fun and challenging.
|Time:||2 - 5 minutes|
|Level:||Elementary grade 1 - 4, Easy|
|Works with:||Head, shoulders song|
|Class size:||Small to large|
You will need:
- A CD with the song
- A CD player (preferably with loud speakers)
- Put the CD in and let the students know it's "Lets sing a song!" time.
- Perhaps review the words quickly and then sing the song once to make sure everyone is ok with it.
- Introduce an action ie. clap, jump, turn around, etc
- Set a body part to exchange for the action ie. Instead of singing knees, everyone claps instead
- Sing the song through and see who gets caught out singing instead of clapping.
- It doesn't have to be just do the action, you can say and do the action together.
ie. Singing: "Head, shoulders, CLAP!" and actually clap as well "and toes, CLAP!" again, clap as well as singing the word clap "and toes."
- For more advanced students, and if you have a version of the song that repeats, you can call out a new body part to exchange for an action for each new verse.