This is a great lesson using the four conjunctions (and, then, but, so) in past tense sentences. It has been tried and the result was a fun lesson that went by quickly.
|Level:||Beginner to intermediate|
|Works with:||conjunctions - and, but, then, so|
- Start the lesson by getting the class to suggest various verbs. Maybe put some more interesting ones up yourself, that will help the final story. Write them on a blackboard (about 20-30). verb examples: wake up, go, run, brush...
- Then translate the verbs into past tense. Write these also on the board. past tense: woke up, went, ran, brushed...
- Then use each past tense verb in a sentence. Just get each person to say one sentence going around the room. example: I woke up. , I went to work. , I ran home. , I brushed my teeth. ...
- Then introduce "and/but/then/so". You may want to give some examples of how they work in a sentence, talk about what it means and be sure everyone understands what each word means.
- Then go around the circle and get each person to say one sentence, telling the story of a day. story example: (1st person)I woke up (2nd person) then I took a shower (3rd person) and I washed my hair (4th person) but...
Note that "but" is a bit tricky because it generally requires the next sentence to be a negative action to the previous sentence, where as the others can just continue the story.