This is a way to make the daily greeting more active, a great greeting activity for kindergarten English lessons.
|Class size:||Any size|
You will need:
- A big ball (such as an exercise ball)
- Come into the class with a big ball.
- Greet everyone as a group, as you normally might.
- Next make a show of having the ball in your hands. Greet the other teacher in the class and pass the ball to them (by rolling it along the ground).
- The teacher will reply to your greeting and roll the ball back to you.
- Next, choose a child from the group and greet them, roll the ball to them and see if they can follow the lead by replying to your greeting and rolling the ball back.
- Because this is a solo speaking activity, try to pick the most confident kids to go first, then encourage some of the less confident kids to try.
- Also, keep the greeting simple and easy, so the activity can progress quickly.
- Try getting everyone in a big circle, and after the kids get comfortable replying to you, get them to roll the ball to each other.
- As with all solo speaking activities, some of the less capable students might not enjoy it, so keep the greeting simple.
- Also with all solo speaking activities, preschool age kids lose interest quickly. Try adding gestures that everyone can do while the one person is speaking.